Tuesday 21 February 2012

Knowing a second language


According to an article from The Observer less and less British learn second language now. I agree with the author that it really is a pity. Knowing only one language restricts your thinking: you do not realize that there is more to feel and say than your language allows you to. For me, it should not be all about mastering as much languages as possible, because as humans we have own limitations. Even learning just the basics of the other lg enriches your ability to perceive the world, which is so complex that to describe it you need to learn through you whole life and you never will be able to tell enough. Moreover, knowing 2nd lg allows a deeper reflection on one's mother tongue. For all those reasons, I am strongly convinced that foreign lgs should be even  in the core curriculum of the Brits.

You may find the article here:Observer's article

3 comments:

  1. Don't you have any experience of your own connected with the topic? Try to give a more individual character to your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... About my personal experience... For example I was learning Latin some time ago for two years. Firstly I thought there is no point learning a lg I will never use. Later I saw how this knowledge helped me to see connections between different languages. It also enriched my knowledge of Polish – now I understand a lot of phrases present in Polish, which derived from Latin. So, it’s worth learning other lgs, even when you know you won’t have the opportunity to use them outside the classroom.

      Delete
    2. See? That's interesting. Nobody has mentioned that aspect of language learning yet :)

      Delete